12/24/2008

Less Than 24 Hours to Go...


...and they're climbing the trees! Kitty and Bunny that is :>)

I know some of you have pets that climb their Xmas tree. I have stuffed animals! Go figure! And yes...that isn't a Christmas tree. I've compromised and gone with a dieffenbachia with evergreen accents (see above Moose's head?). I learned years ago that if you buy a live tree that's been sitting out in snow, sleet and (today) rain, it's a gonner as soon as it comes in the house. It's too traumatized. Ask the folks living out in the Pacific northwest - aren't you traumatized when you go back indoors after being out in all that crazy weather?
Moose assures me he'll keep an eye on everyone while I prep for Christmas dinner. Thanks to my tres bon Bon Appetit magazine, I will be preparing 2 new dishes this year: rib roast with spinich-porcini stuffing and horseradish cream (YUMMY!) and Potato-mushroom gratin (Super YUMMY!). I can make both the gratin and the stuffing ahead of time (Yea!), so that's what I'll be doing today while my better half runs into Manhattan to work for the afternoon.
Tonight is awaiting: we've picked up the stuffed calamari and fish salad already (plus a box on pignoli cookies for dessert!), cleaned the shrimp and the crab legs are defrosting! While it won't be the traditional 12 fishes (for Christ and the apostles) tonight, we figure we have about 6 covered!
I was all too happy to learn that traditional Xmas Pudding (which I really do enjoy and everyone in my life puts up with!) also has 12 ingredients, also representing Christ and the apostles. So! Us Brits have great traditions like the Italians!
Opps...gotta run! Sounds like Bunny is losing his perch!

No comments: