11/21/2007

This is a Favorite Day

The day before Thanksgiving is one of my most favoritist days of the year.  More than Thanksgiving itself, which is always full of disappointment that I'm not at the parade in person (I went one year, many years ago) :0(

But the day before...it's about tradition.  I am very into tradition.  That's why I love the monarchy...and the Catholic Church...and Easter service...and Nat King Cole...and great love stories...ok....maybe I'm a sentimentalist, too!  Anyway - on the day before Turkey Day, I have this ritual that I've held on to for the last 18 years, since Alberta and I first moved to Park Slope Brooklyn.

The thing to know about Park Slope is that it is very much a neighborhood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Slope,_Brooklyn  Not at all big cityish.  (Beth M., am I getting on your nerves with my abuse of the language?) Like right now - I can hear someone raking leaves...and maybe chopping down a tree...?  The main shopping area (a block from our apartment) is Seventh Avenue, which runs 30 blocks or so (commercial).  Dad calls it the "village".  He likes to say "I popped down to the village for a coffee," which means he walked down to the diner a block a way and had a cup of coffee.  Below is a picture of my most favorite bagel store - and, hey!  Seattle may have the fish market, but you ain't seen nothing 'til you see how these guys handle 25 people ordering all at once - and never mess up the order!  Note:  the space for customers to stand is 10' x 8' and the space the bagel guys have is about 4' x 12'.  And the customer service - best in the world! 

But back to my story....The day before the big Turkey Day I love to run my errands to get ready.  First, I go to the Flower Store (which is just a bodega that sells flowers) and pick out something nice for the table (I do my own arrangements).  Then I go to the Wine Store (which is really a wine & liquor store).  Then I go to the Veggie Store (which is a fruit, vegetable and lots of great organic and ethnicfoods). 

That's it.  But do it without a car...on a day that's relatively quiet (kids are in school half a day)...stroll the ten blocks down the Avenue to the wine store...roam the veggie store and decide between snow peas and brussel sprouts (I did both, plus asparagus for Lynne and Alberta).  The flowers sticking out of my backpack, wine in one hand, veggies in the other.  Opps!  Look!  Sweet Melissa's has pies!  YIPEEEE!

Stroll into Sweet Melissa's (a true french patisserie including Afternoon Tea! ( http://www.sweetmelissapatisserie.com/ ) and have a latte and piece of CARAMEL BREAD PUDDING with fresh RASPBERRY SAUCE - let me die now!  Becca - I was thinking of you with every bite!  WAIT!  Don't leave!  What about that CHOCOLATE BOURBON PECAN PIE????!  I don't even like pecan pie - but chocolate pecan?  So I make Alberta buy a piece to taste (and to complement her hot apple cider) and YUM!  Sold!

Then it's home, strolling down the side streets and over to 8th Avenue.  Noon service of church is letting out, the Catholic School girls from the High School are hanging out, the building superintendent has finally put the trash cans away.

That, to me, my dear friends, is the best part of Thanksgiving.  That hour or so enjoying my neighborhood, loving my routine, celebrating the fact that I am blessed enough in my life to have both the opportunity and the ability to enjoy such a simple thing.

And this year, I am particularly thankful that I have such good people in my life that, above all else, make me laugh, make me think, make me want to better at what I do...and have the patience to tolerate me as I work towards all of that!

Happy Thanksgiving, friends.  It's good to be back among you!

 

No comments: