10/29/2007

What is this life...

First day back and all is well.  Folks were very friendly and welcoming...I think they may be genuinely glad to see me return ; -}  Perhaps after the summer exodus of staff, it feels slightly reassuring that someone might actually return! 

As part of my 'break' recap, I took a little photo for the album - the books I read (most of them...some have been returned or passed on).  I start a new one tomorrow - Left to Tell:  Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust, by Immaculee Ilibagiza.

A couple of weeks ago I went in hunt of a poem my mom used to recite all the time.  I found myself saying outloud several times a day in the days leading up to my break.

It's called Leisure, by W.H.Davies, a Welshman who traveled to America.  I guess my mom knew him from Wales:  both she and dad grew up in a border county of Wales / England (Abertillery).

Leisure

WHAT is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?—

No time to stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep and cows:

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night:

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance:

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began?

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

-----------------------------------------------------

NOTE TO SELF:  Self, I say...self, the people at work seem to think that fun is not allowed.  Surely this is misguided.  Be sure to work on an anti-no-fun campaign.  It's time to bring playdoh and silly walks back!  Perhaps they will like my first comedy sketch:  The All-You-Must-Eat-Buffet. 

 

No comments: