10/12/2007

Weekly Update

Have you ever woken up and seen a dragon outside of your window?  I DID!!  I don't know when he came into the neighborhood (maybe on all the wind and rain we had in NYC yesterday...), bur sure 'nuf - there he was!  Can you see him?  He's very green and leafy looking, and his wings are buried in the tree...but there he is!  See his fangs (lower left-hand corner)?

It was great seeing folks yesterday in Philly.  Let's see, in two weeks time I've been able to re-connect with a whole lot of folks - how energizing!  It felt good to be back in the office.  Things were quiet...somewhat still, I'd say.  People were very welcoming, in general.  I did observe a small group of people who were more reserved...polite, but reserved.  It seems like there's a group of staff who are feeling worried, cautious and anxious.  The recent staff turnovers are creating a lot of that.  I think the fact that a number of professional staff have left is disconcerting for some people. 

Good discussions with folks.  I felt clear, able to move at my own pace.  The debrief with my testing guy went very well.  We talked a lot about my personal leadership challenges in relation to the BBBSA culture.  The question I must really reflect on is whether BBBSA will allow me to make the changes I need.  I know that the people, individually, will support me (many of you have already begun to step into the role).  But the culture...can I make the changes in the BBBSA environment?  Much to think about....

Exciting News!  I was accepted  by the Institute of Children's Literature!  I'll need to make a decision about this by next week, but if I decide to do it, it's a remote tutoring-style learning opportunity. You spend the year working on a variety of writing assignments that are submitted to you tutor for editing and commentary.  They gave me an interesting tutor.  She's published a series of non-fiction books on historical places and one sci-fi book for young adults.  I think I was assigned to her because my writing goal is a series:  Stanley and Moose.  I have two outlined and four more identified.  I would finish the program with 6 college credits, several manuscripts, and letters to publishers ready to go.

When I told Judy about this (and my comedy sketch writing course that starts in 2 weeks), she looked worried and surprised!  She kept asking how I would manage all of that and work.  I looked her straight in the eye and said, "this was intentional on my part".  The fact that I lost all life-balance means that I have to be sure I have some commitments outside of work that I can honor in order to make sure I'm getting my needs met.  Judy said it made sense to her, but I could see she's still a bit worried. 

The Institute is an at-your-own-pace program, and allows for extensions, leaves, etc.  I feel certain I can make it work.  It would allow me to indulge in something I enjoy, yet challenge me to take a risk and stretch myself in a new way...it's a creative outlet and would help me to turn-off from work.  It also means discipline and setting boundaries around work.  I think it's this or a true 9-5 job...do those exist anymore?

I hope to have a decision about BBBSA by Monday...in the meantime, time to go check the mail then finish up my latest book, "Eats, Shoot & Leaves," by Lynne Truss: 

A panda walks into a cafe.  he orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.

"Why?" asked the confused waiter, as the padna makes toward the exit.  the panda produces a badly puncturated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"I'm a panda," he says at the door.  "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explaination.

"Panda.  Large black-and-white bear-like animal, native to China.  Eats, shoots and leaves."

I'm reading it as part of research I'm doing for an AlmostNearlyReady article, due out next week.  In the meantime - IT'S A HOOT!  The author is a Brit, so how can this not be good!  She has my humour!

     "Now, there are no laws against imprisoning apostrophes and making them look daft.  Cruelty to punctuation is quite unlegislated:  you can get away with pulling the legs off semicolon; shriveling question marks on the garden path under  a powerful magnifying glass; you name it...Too many jobs have been heaped upon this tiny mark, and - far from complaining - the apostrophe has seemingly requested "More weight", just like that martyrish old codger in Arthur Miller's The Crucible...."

No comments: