2/03/2015

Life is Like an Ant Farm...or Maybe a Rabbit Hole

At least some days it feels like it - to me.  It's the experience of living in a tight, well-constructed little world in which I'm running hither and yon, only to end up in the same place I started.

But more than that, I often feel like I am doing it all at the amusement of God / Great Creator.  In fact, I feel pretty certain that the Ant Farm I live in actually sits on his desk, where S/He derives great pleasure from watching my frenzied little self.


This past month, however, I felt more like I fell down the rabbit hole.  Within a period of four weeks, multiple people from my past, the majority of whom I had not seen in over two years, suddenly reappeared.  Well...let me clarify that (since it sounds like Scotty beamed them all up in my living room one morning).

I've stayed in touch with many of these folks via phone, text and emails.  But it's been years since I've spent a couple of days with them sitting together in conversation, enjoying a meal together.

Thanks to a combination of holiday visits and a national conference, I had the opportunity to reacquaint myself with a number of people with whom I've known for many years.  It was disorienting...and embarrassing.

THEN                                                                                           NOW
=====                                                                                         + 30 lbs
Director in a Nat'l Organization                                         Unemployed
Leading                                                                                      Looking
$$$                                                                                                       -$
Confident                                                                                 Uncertain

Thank goodness for good people, though.  They didn't bat an eye and treated me like we'd just spent time together last week.  It made me miss them all the more when it came time to say goodbye.
Not to mention the fact that I'm back in the Ant Farm....


No comments: