1/25/2009

I've Had an Epiphany!

Well...sort of. And a little late....

Imagine my surprise (and anger about having such knowledge withheld from me!) when I learned that the Epiphany is celebrated in so many different ways, by so many different cultures. Let me clarify. It's not that I'm mad that people in different parts of the world celebrate the Epiphany in many ways. No. It's that I'd never heard about La Befana!

The Italians celebrate with a visit from an old woman called "la Befana," who puts gifts and candy in the shoes of children on Epiphany morning (January 6). Nobody put candy and gifts in my shoes! What's with that?!

And Mexicans celebrate with Rosca de Reyes (the Kings cake). It's made in the shape of a crown with a ring hidden inside.

So where's my candy and cake?

No comments: