9/18/2007

Learning to See Again: Lessons #2 and #3

So...I never finished my vision story.  There were two more lessons that I learned through my travails with learning to use my new glasses!

Lesson #2 - Chin Up!

I learned, that in addition to having to look down when going downstairs, once I reached level land and started strolling, it appears I have a tendency to walk around with my chin up and nose in the air!  I only know that because I found myself looking through the non-prescription part of the lens and couldn't get anything into focus!

Now, why none of you have bothered to tell me I walk around with my nose in the air is beyond me, given that most of you are not in the least bit shy at confronting issues of great importance, such as this one! 

Of course, being British, I was raised with the term "chin up!"  It was often used in one of two ways around my house:  "Chin up, chest out, tail under" or just "Chin up!"  The first is about posture - at least that was the context in which it was used with me - by my dad.  Try it. Chin up, chest out, tail under.  Perfect!  You're standing up as straight as you would if someone had rammed a pole up your bum!  So, in my childhood, "Chin up!" from my dad was my cue to sit up or stand up straight.

The other context in which "Chin up" was used with me was by my mom.  It's all about that British pride and toughness, get-through-the-blitz, "laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone" stuff.  Whenever I was down in my boots (not my wellies, mind you!), mom would always cheer me on with a great bit "Chin Up, Sandra!"

Anyway, back to the point of all of this - my ability to see.  It appears that I like to look up and around when moving about, using a great deal of peripheral vision to scan my environment (it's like multi-tasking for the eyes!) and very little head or neck movement.  But with these new glasses, I have had to learn to keep my chin level and lift my head (not just my eyes) in order to see in focus.

Interesting.  I no longer can see by just moving my eyes very 007/stealth-like.  I must now engage my entire head and neck in the process.  I feel a bit like a puppet...one of those that sits on someone's lap while they talk for them.  But it has had an interesting impact.  I must now both physically and consciously engage in looking, watching, viewing...seeing.  I'm a more active participant in what I am doing.  Not as peripheral, so to speak.

Which brings us to Lesson #3!

As I noted above, I like to scan my surroundings and use lots of peripheral vision.  Not good with these glasses.  The actual field of view is very central (much like someone with macular degeneration), so if I move my eyes/pupils without physically moving my head, things are blurry (outside my prescription or field of vision).

This new way of seeing has left me frustrated and with a constant dull headache.  I miss the days of taking my glasses on and off constantly, then losing them twice a day!  I feel very new to it all.  But alas!  Every day is a bit better.  I've only lost my glasses once and my posture has improved!

No comments: