9/05/2013

L'Shana Tovah

(Note - written at the start of Rosh Hashana.) One of the things I often puzzle about is what % of my sense of being "too busy" is real and what % is just my own perception of being "too busy".  It's easy to stuff ones brain full of 'work,' leaving too little time to reflect, to sing, to dream, to day dream, to hum, to be at peace with one's self.

This all came to mind this week when I got on the train Thursday morning.  Instead of being 2-3 people deep on the subway platform, there was no one around.  "I must have just missed a train," I thought to myself as I turned up my music and waited for the next train.  But the next train arrived about three minutes later and to my happiness, there were multiple seats available!

Four stops later, I switch to the "A" train and the same thing happens - an empty platform and empty seats.  Swe-e-e-e-e-eT!  I arrive at Fulton Street and start the hike upstairs, sans the massive crowds.  Now I'm beginning to wonder.  I know public schools aren't back in session, but parochial schools are, so, in theory, there should be more people on the train.  Hmmmmm.  I decide it's the last chance for families to get away before school starts on Monday, so everyone must have gone on vacation!

Four hours later, I get it.  It's the Jewish Holiday!  I'm in New York City.  Folks are at shul - not work!  Remembering, reflecting.  Standing still in the chaos of life.  I'm so "busy" in my own mind that I missed it.  There's a lesson here.

No comments: